Assisted NC businesses in winning 3,280 contracts minimum value of $12.9 billion

Department of Defense (DOD) Operational Energy

Operational energy is concerned with getting energy to the warfighter. Operational energy applies to different energy sources such as batteries used by soldiers to power their equipment to fuel used by aircraft, ground vehicles, ships, and contingency bases. Fuel availability impacts miles driven, hours flown, days at sea, and overall military readiness. An estimated 75 percent of DOD’s energy use is for operational use and the remaining 25 percent is used for installation energy.

Historically, military initiatives focused on reducing energy costs associated with DOD’s fixed installations, but they do not have near the impact as improving the energy performance of major weapons systems. Put more simply, a gallon of gas costs the average American more than two dollars a gallon but consider how much that same gallon costs when you have to transport it to the battlefield front line overseas.

Operational energy strategy is concerned with two primary goals:

  • Increased energy performance of weapons systems; and,
  • Saving fuel.

Operational performance considerations take priority over energy efficiency in major weapons systems, but the efficiency of a weapons system must be “designed-in” as part of the requirements and development processes. Inefficient, energy intensive weapons systems create a burden on the logistics system and every operational energy dollar saved can be used to provide additional warfighting capabilities elsewhere. DOD’s energy usage and energy logistical support requirements play a central role in its decision-making and business processes.

DOD going forward is primarily concerned with future warfighting capability by identifying and reducing logistics and operational risks from operational energy vulnerabilities; and enhancing the mission effectiveness of the current force through updated equipment and improvements in training, exercises, and operations.

The Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Sustainment is the office that works to enhance military readiness while mitigating risk in the supply and use of energy in operations. DOD requested more than $2.9 billion for the execution of operational energy initiatives in FY 2019. These investments procure new or upgrade existing equipment, improve propulsion, and adapt plans, concepts, and wargames to account for increasing risks to logistics and sustainment, and enhance the role of energy considerations in developing new capabilities.

The U.S. Marine Corps Expenditure Energy Office (E2O) directs the Marine Corps’ energy strategy across all warfighting functions. E2O works closely with the combat and technology development communities and serves as the proponent for Expeditionary Energy in the force development process. Additionally, E2O is tasked with advising the Marine Requirements Oversight Council on all energy and resource-related requirements, acquisitions, and programmatic decisions.

The Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy, and Environment provides operational energy policy, guidance and oversight across the Army enterprise. The Operational Energy team coordinates with the other services and the Office of the Secretary of Defense to optimize energy use and distribution on the battlefield.  One of the 2018 National Defense Strategy goals is to build a more lethal force, including “a competitive approach to force development and a consistent, multiyear investment to restore warfighting readiness.” To achieve this goal, the Army is investing in operational energy systems and processes that extend soldiers’ range, endurance, flexibility, mobility and resilience.

To view the Department of Defense Energy Annual report, click here

 

 

 

 

NCMBC Key Information

  • NCMBC-assisted firms won 3,267 contracts – minimum value at $12.8 billion – from the NCMBC’s opening in 2005 through June 2019
  • FY2018: Federal agencies awarded $6.1 billion in prime contracts to companies in 96 of 100 North Carolina counties
  • FY2018: Department of Defense awarded $3.7 billion in prime contracts to companies in 80 of 100 North Carolina counties
  • NCMBC’s return on State investment: 23:1

CONTACT US

FACT SHEET

ORGANIZATIONAL CHART

FY18 FEDERAL/DOD COUNTY SPENDING DATA

2019 MISSION REVIEW REPORT

FY18 FEDERAL SPENDING HEAT MAP

MAILING ADDRESS:
North Carolina Military Business Center
PO Box 1748
Fayetteville, NC 28303





The NC Military Business Center, the NC Community College System, and the State of North Carolina do not officially endorse events. These items are posted strictly for the information and convenience of NCMBC customers.

website by Biz Tools One