STRIVE STARTUP TRAINING WEEK 4: Customers and Competitors: Customer Segments, Target Markets and Competitive Analysis
April 12 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
STRIVE Startup Training Resources to Inspire Veteran Entrepreneurship
Free 10-week personalized training to help Veterans and military affiliated* entrepreneurs succeed!
Now Accepting Applications for Classes Starting March 22, 2023!
The STRIVE program is a FREE entrepreneurship training program for Veterans and military affiliated* individuals.
WHO BENEFITS FROM STRIVE: This intensive 10-week workshop is for the Veteran and military affiliated* entrepreneur that wants to start a new business or grow their early stage enterprise.
*WHO CAN APPLY: STRIVE is free, but only available to Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, their spouses, and First-Generation children of Veterans. Gold Star parents, spouses and children are also eligible. Partners in business with a Veteran may apply, if a Veteran owns at least 50% of the business.
OUTCOMES: At the conclusion of the STRIVE program, participants will have an actionable plan to either launch their new business or take a significant step forward with an existing business. This plan can also be used for loan applications, and a fundable pitch.
Upon successful completion of the STRIVE program, participants will be able to:
- Identify their target market
- Utilize the 3 basic types of research to validate their business and focus their marketing
- Apply an iterative “Proceed, Pivot, or Punt” approach to all stages of development
- Use the tools necessary to determine the business and economic model that best serves themand their company
- Learn how to rise above the clutter and noise through targeted marketing
- Create proforma financials
- Understand the basics of company financial controls
- Have a comprehensive business plan suitable for funding
- Create a competitive pitch presentation
THE 3-PART STRIVE APPROACH:
- Face-to-face classes on 10 consecutive Wednesday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00pm. These classes will cover key concepts and how to take the next steps on your plan. Classes will meet at the FTCC General Classroom Building, 2718 Fort Bragg Road, Room 108/114. Some food and drinks will be provided.
- Private meetings with subject matter experts will help you resolve questions and sticking points with your plan. Depending on you and your Business Counselor’s schedules, meetings will be held via Zoom, phone or in person.
- Individualwork: Participants should expect to invest 10 or more hours per week to this program.
LONG ON PRACTICALITY. SHORT ON THEORY. The STRIVE program is designed to set early stage businesses on a path to success; it isn’t designed to teach participants in-depth theories like those taught in an undergraduate or graduate level entrepreneurship program.
IT’S FREE! If accepted, there is no cost to participants. STRIVE is offered in partnership with Syracuse University’s Institute for Veterans and Military Families (IVMF), the National Association of Community College Entrepreneurs (NACCE), who, along with FTCC, have provided funding to provide this program to the extended ‘military family’.
Graduates of the program may qualify for funding through various agencies and will be prepared to compete in lucrative pitch contests. STRIVE graduates will be assigned to a designated mentor to continue their progress after the conclusion of the classwork and graduation.
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE NLT 1200 06 MAR 23 at http://tiny.cc/strivereg . Seating is limited. Acceptance and admission emails for this cohort will be sent to each applicant nlt 1700 10MAR23. Any applicants who are not admitted to this cohort can update their original application and be considered for future cohorts.
1. WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE FOR IN-PERSON CLASSES?
Applications are due NLT 12:00 PM March 6, 2023 at http://tiny.cc/strivereg. The STRIVE program is a mixture of in-person and online course work.
WEEK 1 (MAR 22, 2023): Think like a SUCCESSFUL Entrepreneur: Developing an Entrepreneurial Mindset
WEEK 2 (MAR 29, 2023): Building the Foundation: Business Model Canvas, and Value Proposition
WEEK 3 (APR 5, 2023): Customers and Competitors: Customer Segments, Target Markets and Competitive Analysis
WEEK 4 (APR 12, 2023): Building a Brand: Positioning and Pricing Strategies, Branding, and the Media Mix
WEEK 5 (APR 19, 2023): Selling: Sales, eCommerce platforms, and Sales Projections
WEEK 6 (APR 26, 2023): Government Contracting, Feasibility, and Intellectual Property
WEEK 7 (MAY 3, 2023): Know the Score: Systems and Bookkeeping
WEEK 8 (MAY 10, 2023): Cash Flow and Financials
WEEK 9 (MAY 17, 2023): Operations Management: Legal and Human Resources
WEEK 10 (MAY 24, 2023): Pitch Deck and Presentation Training Graduation and Pitch Event- TBD
- HOW TO APPLY?
Complete the application form at http://tiny.cc/strivereg. Applicants will be accepted based on the potential of their business concept, as assessed by a panel of subject matter experts. Applicants must be a current resident of North Carolina or planning to open a business in North Carolina. Fifteen applicants will be selected for this initial cohort. Applicants who are not selected for this cohort are encouraged to apply again. Applications are due NO LATER THAN 12:00PM March 6, 2023 at http://tiny.cc/strivereg. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
- Current Resume
- Two Letters of Recommendation – The writer should include the following:
- Their position/ title
- Their contact information
- How they know the applicant and for how long
- Why they feel the applicant would be suited to entrepreneurship, their experience in working with the applicant, etc.
- If applicable, VA Disability rating OR Proof of Request for Disability Rating (PDF, .jpeg, or .png)
- DD214, Member 4 copy (showing dates of active duty, discharge status, black out SSN) ORLeave and Earning Statement (LES) (PDF Format please)
- Letter from commander is acceptable if the DD214 is delayed
- ARE MATERIALS AND BOOKS PROVIDED?
Yes! All necessary materials will be provided at no charge.
- WILL MEALS BE PROVIDED?
Yes, basic casual food (pizza, sandwiches, drinks, etc.) will be provided at no charge to participants. If you require specific dietary accommodations, we recommend you bring your own food.
- CAN I ATTEND REMOTELY?
All class sessions are onsite (2817 Fort Bragg Road, room 108/114) without a remote option. There is digital work to be completed independently every week between March 22nd and May 24th. Individual counseling sessions may be held via Zoom, phone or in person according to the schedule and location of the participant and the counselor.
- IS THERE A COST FOR THE PROGRAM?
There are NO CHARGES to participants in the STRIVE program, thanks to the funding provided by Syracuse IVMF, NACCE and the FTCC Center for Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Small Business.
KENT HILL: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (910) 672-8462
KIM GEBERT: Email: email@example.com Phone: (910) 672- 8462
Don’t miss out on this opportunity for this free startup and small business training for Veterans and qualified military affiliated* entrepreneurs.
Register now at http://tiny.cc/strivereg for the STRIVE cohort beginning March 22nd!